Detailed historical development process of the Canton Fair

- Apr 21, 2020-

The China Import and Export Fair, the Guangzhou Fair, referred to as the Canton Fair, is called Canton fair in English. Founded in the spring of 1957, it is held in Guangzhou every spring and autumn. It has more than 50 years of history and is the longest history in China. A comprehensive international trade event with the highest level, the largest scale, the most complete variety of products, the largest number of customers, and the best transaction results. Since the 101st session in April 2007, the Canton Fair has been renamed the China Import and Export Fair from the China Export Commodities Fair, from a single export platform to a two-way import and export trading platform.
The Canton Fair is a comprehensive international trade fair with the longest history, the largest scale, the most complete variety of products, the largest number of attending merchants, and the best transaction results in China. It is held in two sessions a year. One.
The China Import and Export Fair is composed of 48 trading delegations. Thousands of foreign trade companies, manufacturing enterprises, research institutes, foreign-invested / wholly-owned enterprises, and private enterprises with good credit standing and strong strength participate in the exhibition. China Import and Export Commodities Fair has flexible and diverse trading methods. In addition to the traditional sample-seeking transactions, online trade fairs are also held. The Canton Fair mainly focuses on export trade and import business. It can also carry out various forms of economic and technical cooperation and exchanges, as well as business activities such as commodity inspection, insurance, transportation, advertising, and consulting. Businessmen from all over the world gather in Guangzhou to exchange business information and enhance friendship.
In 1956, under the name of "China Council for the Promotion of International Trade", the two-month "China Export Commodities Exhibition" was held in the former Sino-Soviet Friendship Building in Guangzhou.
· In 1957, with the approval of the State Council, Chinese foreign trade companies held the Spring and Autumn China Export Commodities Fair in Guangzhou.
· In 1958, the venue was moved to the "China Export Commodities Exhibition Hall" 7a686964616fe78988e69d8331333330333638 at No. 2 Qiaoguang Road. The export turnover exceeded US $ 100 million for the first time, reaching US $ 150 million.
· In 1959, the site was moved to the Uprising Road Exhibition Hall, covering an area of 40,000 square meters, 2.7 times that of the Qiaoguang Road Exhibition Hall.
In 1967, Premier Zhou inspected the Spring Fair and did mass organization work to ensure the smooth holding of the fair.
· In 1972, after the publication of the China-US Joint Communiqué, there were 42 American businessmen invited to the Spring Fair in 1972. This was the first time the US businessmen had attended the meeting after more than 20 years of Sino-US trade disruption.
· In 1974, the third relocation to the current Canton Fair compound in Liuhua Road. The front of the pavilion is inlaid with "China Export Commodities Fair" written by Mr. Guo Moruo.
· In 1980, the Canton Fair started trade with Taiwan.
· In 1983, a Sino-foreign joint venture first came to the meeting to develop export transactions.
· From 1984 to 1985, the Canton Fair won the "International Mercury Gold Award" in Italy and the "International Trade Award" in Spain. US Vice President Bush visited the 1985 Autumn Fair.
· In 1986, the Canton Fair spent more than 60 million yuan to carry out a system renovation of the exhibition hall. 60 celebrations were held.
· In 1989, the export turnover of two sessions a year exceeded US $ 10 billion for the first time, reaching US $ 10.89 billion. The duration of the meeting was changed from 20 days to 15 days. A special economic zone trading group was newly established.
· In 1993, the reform was mainly carried out by "provincial and municipal groups, and the establishment of pavilions according to the group". A total of 45 trading groups were established to try out the textile fair.
· In 1994, the Canton Fair began to organize exhibitions according to the scheme of "Provincial and Municipal Groups, Chambers of Commerce, Pavilion Combination, and Industry Exhibition". Set up six major industry pavilions.
· In 1996, the Canton Fair increased investment efforts, inviting well-known foreign trade and industry groups and high-level trade representatives to the fair.
· In 1999, private enterprises granted self-support import and export rights by the Ministry of Foreign Trade and Economic Cooperation showed their own brands for the first time.
· In 2000, the Canton Fair's meeting period was changed from 15 days to 12 days; the number of merchants at the meeting exceeded 100,000.
· In 2001, there were more than 110,000 merchants attending the Spring Fair; the transaction amount reached US $ 15.8 billion; the Canton Fair increased the protection of intellectual property rights.
· In 2002, starting from the 91st session, it was changed to two sessions of one session, each period was six days, and the two sessions will be separated by four days; at the same time, the commodities exhibited were classified and arranged for exhibition in two periods.